The 5th National HIV and AIDS Research (NHARCON 2023) was launched on Tuesday 30th August, 2022 at the Ministry of Information Press Center under the theme: “Achieving HIV Epidemic Control Amidst Emerging Health Threats.”
The objectives of NHARCON 2023 are:
• To share knowledge and best practices of HIV interventions
• To disseminate findings of relevant researches undertaken in Ghana as well as globally.
• To provide opportunity for researchers from around the world to share the latest scientific advancement in the field and learn from one another’s experience
• To review strategies for advancing the fast truck 95-95-95 strategies and treat all policies.
• To discuss and identify future programme strategies and effect priorities in line with dividends and best practices
Addressing the press and the general public, the Director General of the Ghana AIDS Commission, Dr. Kyeremeh Atuahene made it known that NHARCON 2023 is the collective effort of government, donors and civil society partners. He went ahead to state that science is the bedrock of public health and NHARCON 2023 is organized once every four years to consolidate the national HIV research effort and make the evidence thereof a centerpiece of programmes and policies. He also added that the investments made in the national HIV response has yielded some positive result, as between 2017 and 2021, new infections reduced by 26% while AIDS related deaths also reduced by 38%. He added that despite the successes, GAC is not complacent as it is working assiduously with partners to reach the national goal of ending AIDS by 2030.
Other Distinguished speakers at the launch were:
• Dr. Mokowa Blay Adu-Gyamfi, Presidential advisor on HIV and AIDS
• Hon. Dr. Kwaku Afriyie, Executive Oversight Minister of Ghana AIDS Commission
• Prof. William Ampofo, Chairman of the NHARCON 2023
• Dr. Stephen Ayisi Addo, Programme Manager NACP Ghana
NHARCON 2023 is slated for 25th – 28th April, 2022.
The Ghana AIDS Commission is a supra-ministerial and multi-sectoral body established under the Chairmanship of H. E. the President of the Republic of Ghana by Act 2016, Act 938 of Parliament. The objective of the Commission is to formulate policy on the HIV and AIDS epidemic and...find out more